Pages

Mission

“In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.” (John 1:4 ESV)

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Out of Your Comfort Zone

by Macy Johnson
“Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send?
And who will go for us?’ And I said, ‘Here am I. Send me!’”
(Isaiah 6:8 NIV)

What is a Child Passenger Safety Technician? Three months ago I didn’t know. Our local crisis pregnancy center director asked, “Who will take my place as CPST?” I accepted the challenge.

My first assignment was to observe a class. The second was to attend three days of intense training two hours away. Off I go to Cartersville, Georgia for three nights at the Hampton Inn.

Day one training at the Fire/Police station was exhausting. Day two was worse.
Imagine learning how to:
-      install car seats of all possible kinds into multiple vehicles and
-      give caregivers guidelines for transporting children safely

Being yanked out of our comfort zone hurts. The pain is sometimes unbearable. We weep silently in the bathroom, hoping no one will find us.

Day three concluded with a hands-on, community “Car-Seat Check” in Walmart’s parking lot. Instructing mothers and grandmothers, climbing in and out of their vehicles, completing checklists, mounting equipment too heavy for a female sexagenarian, and cramming gloved hands between grungy seat cushions made me cringe.

I eased out of the parking lot at 3:30 that afternoon, back into my comfort zone, whispering prayers of relief and thanks along every mile of I-75. Late-night musings echoed in my mind, “If one child’s life is saved by what you have learned, all of the struggles and frustrations were worth it!”

Back in the crisis pregnancy center I successfully taught my first class, approved and ready to serve.

I will “Be brave!” as my mother used to say, and follow the Spirit out of my comfort zone. I hope you will, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment